The Consonant Sounds [k] and [g]
1. You can hear the sound [k] at the beginning and end of kick.
You can hear the sound [g] at the beginning and end of gag.
In the words below the sound [k] is spelled <c>, <k>, <ck>, <cc>, or <ch>. The sound [g] is spelled <g>, <gg>, or <gh>. Underline the letters that spell either [k] or [g] in each word:
2. Sort the words into these two groups:
3. Now sort the words that contain [g] into these three groups:
4. Sort the words that contain [k] into these five groups. Be careful because one word goes into two groups:
5. Five ways to spell [k] are _______, _______, _______, _______, and _______.
6. Three ways to spell [g] are _______, _______, and _______.
Word Pyramids. The following Pyramids are made up of words that contain the sound [g]: